State law addresses accountability by requiring districts to review and update anti-bullying policies and/or to submit policies to the state for review and approval.
Oklahoma Administrative Code 210:10-1-20. Implementation of policies prohibiting bullying
(f) Monitoring and Compliance. The State Board of Education shall monitor school districts for compliance with 70 O.S. § 24-100.4 and (c) of this Section.
- (1) To assist the State Department of Education with compliance efforts pursuant to this section, each school district shall identify a Bullying Coordinator who will serve as the district contact responsible for providing information to the State Board of Education. The Bullying Coordinator shall maintain on file with the Department of Education updated contact information. Each school district shall notify the State Department of Education within fifteen (15) business days of the appointment of a new Bullying Coordinator.
- (2) Every school district shall submit to the State Board of Education a copy of the district's bullying policy. The bullying policy shall be submitted to the State Department of Education by December 10th of each school year, and shall be submitted as a part of the school's Annual Performance Report.
- (3) The State Department of Education shall conduct an annual comprehensive review of each school district's bullying policy to ensure compliance with 70 O.S. § 24-100.4. School districts that do not comply with the statutory requirements of the Statuteshall be notified in writing, and be required to make necessary changes to comply with state law.
- (4) State Department of Education staff shall monitor school districts for compliance with 70 O.S. § 24-100.4 and section (c) of this rule. The State Department of Education may initiate a compliance review upon receipt of evidence which indicates noncompliance with 70 O.S. § 24-100.4. Evidence of potential noncompliance shall be based on the nature or frequency of confirmed complaints of non-compliance received by the State Department of Education. The scope of a compliance review initiated pursuant to (f) of this Section shall be limited to determining whether a school district has implemented policies required by 70 O.S. § 24-100.4.
- (5) Records indicating substantial noncompliance with (c) of this Section shall be submitted to the school district's Regional Accreditation Officer (RAO) for review and consideration during the district's accreditation process. Record of a school district's failure to comply with 70 O.S. § 24-100.4, including the number of confirmed complaints of non-compliance involving the district, shall be documented in the district's compliance report and be considered for purposes of accreditation.
Oklahoma Statutes 70-24-100.4.School Safety and Bullying Prevention Act - Discipline of child - Prohibition of bullying at school and online – Policy requirements.
G. The State Board of Education shall:
- Promulgate rules for periodically monitoring school districts for compliance with this section and providing sanctions for noncompliance with this section;
- Establish and maintain a central repository for the collection of information regarding documented and verified incidents of bullying; and
- Publish a report annually on the State Department of Education website regarding the number of documented and verified incidents of bullying in the public schools in the state.