State law encourages or requires districts to implement identification and referral processes to link students and families with needed resources.
West Virginia Administrative Code 126-42-8. School Based Responsibilities.
- 8.1. Strong leadership by the administration and faculty is necessary for effective schools to produce higher levels of student achievement. Shared leadership, based on the WVBE Policy 2322, must be in place in order for schools to be effective in meeting the needs of students and improving student learning.
- 8.2. Student Assistance Team-- Each public school shall establish a student assistance team that:
- 8.2.a. consists of a school administrator or designee, who shall serve as a chairperson, a current teacher(s), a parent/guardian, and other appropriate professional staff;
- 8.2.b. reviews individual student needs that have persisted despite being addressed through academic and/or behavioral support;
- 8.2.c. allows parents to review recommendations made by the team regarding the child's program and to provide feedback to the team about those recommendations;
- 8.2.d. is trained in referral procedures for multidisciplinary evaluations, Alternative Education placement, disciplinary procedures, general summative assessment accommodations, and other school processes as appropriate for ensuring student progress and maintenance of a safe school environment; and
- 8.2.e. collects and maintains data on the activities of the team, including the dates of meetings, the members in attendance, the recommendations of the team, the dates of review meetings, and the results of its recommendations.
West Virginia Administrative Code 126-99. EXPECTED BEHAVIOR IN SAFE AND SUPPORTIVE SCHOOLS (4373)
Appendix B: Sample Interventions and Consequences Interventions Administrator/student conference or reprimand Administrator and teacher-parent or guardian conference Counseling referrals to support staff or agencies Notification of appropriate Health and Human Resources Daily/weekly academic and/or behavioral progress reports Referral to Student Assistance Team (SAT) Behavioral contracts Change in the student's class schedule, locker assignment, or seat assignment School service assignment *W. Va. Code § 18A-5-1(d) prohibits the use of suspension solely for not attending class. The selection of appropriate interventions and consequences for substance abuse must be considered very carefully depending upon the severity of the behavior and potential safety concern for others in the school. The first action must be to conference with the parent or guardian and appropriate law enforcement representatives in an effort to direct the student to appropriate addiction services. Referral to tobacco cessation services/treatment and substance abuse treatment services shall be a priority intervention strategy for these behaviors.
West Virginia Code 18-5-18b. School counselors in public schools.
(b) Each county board shall provide counseling services for each pupil enrolled in the public schools of the county. (c) The school counselor shall work with individual pupils and groups of pupils in providing developmental, preventive and remedial guidance and counseling programs to meet academic, social, emotional, and physical needs; including programs to identify and address the problem of potential school dropouts. The school counselor also may provide consultant services for parents, teachers, and administrators and may use outside referral services, when appropriate, if no additional cost is incurred by the county board.