State law encourages districts to provide professional development for school personnel on youth suicide prevention
Montana Code Annotated 20.7.1310 Youth suicide awareness and prevention training.
(1) This section may be cited as the “Suicide Awareness and Prevention Training Act”. (2) The office of public instruction shall provide guidance and technical assistance to Montana schools on youth suicide awareness and prevention training materials. All training materials offered must be approved by the office of public instruction, meet the Standard for professional development in the state, and be periodically reviewed by a qualified person or committee for consistency with generally accepted principles of youth suicide awareness and prevention training. (3) The legislature recommends that youth suicide awareness and prevention training be made available annually to each employee of a school district and to staff of the office of public instruction who work directly with any students enrolled in Montana public schools. The training must be provided at no cost to the employee. The training may be offered through any method of training identified in subsection (4). (4) The legislature recommends that employees under subsection (3) take at least 2 hours of youth suicide awareness and prevention training every 5 years. Appropriate methods for delivery of the training include:
- (a) in-person attendance at a live training;
- (b) videoconference;
- (c) an individual program of study of designated materials;
- (d) self-review modules available online; and
- (e) any other method chosen by the local school board that is consistent with professional development Standard. (5) The trustees of a school district shall establish policies, procedures, or plans related to suicide prevention and response. (6) No cause of action may be brought for any loss or damage caused by any act or omission resulting from the implementation of the provisions of this section, or resulting from any training, or lack of training, related to this section. Nothing in this section shall be construed to impose a specific duty of care.
Suicide Awareness & Prevention Training
This page provides links to professional development and training resources on suicide awareness and prevention.