State law requires districts to adopt suicide prevention policies.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.55.701 Board of trustees
(2) Each school district shall make available to the staff and public:
- (p) a policy, procedure, or plan addressing suicide prevention and response as outlined in 10.55.720.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.55.720 Suicide prevention and response
(1) A local board of trustees shall establish policies, procedures, or plans related to suicide prevention and response that may include the following recommended elements:
- (a) Promotes collaboration with families and with community providers in all aspects of suicide prevention and response;
- (b) Implements a prevention and response program that is effective in reaching students, staff, and parents using resources required of the Office of Public Instruction under 20-7-1310, MCA;
- (c) Includes high quality intervention services for students;
- (d) Promotes interagency cooperation that enables school personnel to identify and access appropriate community resources for use in times of crisis;
- (e) Includes reintegration of youth into a school following a crisis, hospitalization, or residential treatment;
- (f) Provides for leadership, planning, and support for students and school personnel to ensure appropriate responses to attempted or completed suicides; and
- (g) Ensures regular evaluation and revision of the policy and procedures.
(2) The term "response" includes both immediate response and postvention guidelines.
Montana Code Annotated 20.7.1310 Youth suicide awareness and prevention training.
(5) The trustees of a school district shall establish policies, procedures, or plans related to suicide prevention and response.
Montana Code Annotated 53.21.1101 Suicide prevention officer - duties
(1) The department of public health and human services shall implement a suicide prevention program administered by a suicide prevention officer attached to the office of the director of the department.
(2) The suicide prevention officer shall:
(c) direct a statewide suicide prevention program with evidence-based activities that include but are not limited to:
(v) providing grants to entities including but not limited to tribes, tribal and urban health organizations, local governments, schools, health care providers, professional associations, and other nonprofit and community organizations for development or expansion of evidence-based suicide prevention programs in accordance with the requirements of 53-21-1111.
Montana's Crisis Action School Toolkit on Suicide
This document provides guidance to school districts establishing and updating policies, procedures, and plans related to suicide prevention and response.
Suicide Policies & Procedures
This page provides links to resources on developing and implementing suicide prevention policies and procedures.