State law requires parent or family member representation on school governance councils or in school improvement planning efforts.
Utah Administrative Code R277-491-1. Authority and Purpose
(1) This rule is authorized by:
- (a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board; and
- (b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to:
- (a) provide procedures and clarifying information to a school community council to assist the council in fulfilling school community council responsibilities consistent with Sections 53G-7-1202 through 53G-7-1203;
- (b) provide direction to a local school board, school, and school district in establishing and maintaining a school community council;
- (c) provide a framework and support for improved academic achievement of students that is locally driven from within an individual school;
- (d) encourage increased participation of a parent, school employee, and others to support the mission of a school community council;
- (e) increase public awareness of:
- (i) school trust lands;
- (ii) the permanent State School Fund; and
- (iii) educational excellence; and
- (f) enforce compliance with the laws governing a school community council.
(3) This rule does not apply to charter schools.
Utah Administrative Code R277-491-6 School Community Council Business.
- (a) The school community council shall adopt rules of order and procedure to govern a council meeting in accordance with Subsection 53G-7-1203(10).
- (b) The rules of order and procedure shall outline the process for:
- (i) electing the school community council, including:
- (A) the number of parent members and school employee members on the council; and
- (B) beginning dates for the term of each member's position;
- (ii) selecting a chair and vice chair;
- (iii) removing from office a member who moves away or fails to attend meetings regularly; and
- (iv) a member to declare a conflict of interest if required by the local school board's policy.
(2) The school community council shall:
- (a) report on a plan, program, or expenditure at least annually to the local school board; and
- (b) encourage participation on the school community council by members of the school community and recruit a potential candidate to run for an open position on the council.
- (a) The principal shall provide an annual report to the school community council that summarizes current practices used by the school district and school to facilitate the school community council's responsibilities under Subsections 53G-7-1203(3)(a)(iii)(D), (iv), and (v).
- (b) The report described in Subsection (3)(a) shall include:
- (i) information concerning internet filtering protocols for school and district devices that access the internet;
- (ii) local instructional practices, monitoring, and reporting procedures; and
- (iii) internet safety training provided to a student and parent by the school or district.
- (c) A school community council's School LAND Trust Program plan may not conflict with the school district's approved LEA plan related to a digital teaching and learning grant awarded to the school district under Title 53F, Chapter 2, Part 5.
(4) A school community council shall comply with the requirements of Subsection 53G-7-1202(3)(vi).
(5) A school community council may advise and inform the local school board and other members of the school community regarding the uses of School LAND Trust Program funds.
Utah Code 53E-2-302. Characteristics of public education system.
The Legislature shall assist in maintaining a public education system that has the following characteristics:
- (12) emphasizes the involvement of educators, parents, business partnerships, and the community at large in the educational process by allowing them to be involved in establishing and implementing educational goals and participating in decision-making at the school site;
Utah Code 53G-7-1202. School community councils -- Duties -- Composition -- Election procedures and selection of members.
(2) A district school, in consultation with the district school's local school board, shall establish a school community council at the school building level for the purpose of:
- (a) involving parents of students in decision making at the school level;
- (b) improving the education of students;
- (c) prudently expending School LAND Trust Program money for the improvement of students' education through collaboration among parents and guardians, school employees, and the local school board; and
- (d) increasing public awareness of:
- (i) school trust lands and related land policies;
- (ii) management of the State School Fund established in Utah Constitution Article X, Section V; and
- (iii) educational excellence.
Utah Code 53G-7-1305. Teacher and student success plans — Plan review and approval.
1) (a) The principal of a school shall develop the school’s teacher and student success plan:
- (i) in accordance with the LEA governing board student success framework for the school’s LEA;
- (ii) by integrating school-specific goals and criteria for improving the school’s performance within the state accountability system; and
- (iii) if the school has a school turnaround plan as defined in Section 53E-5-301, in accordance with the school’s school turnaround plan.
(b) A principal shall solicit input on developing a success plan from:
- (i) for a district school or charter school:
- (A) the school community council, as defined in Section 53G-7-1202; or
- (B) the charter trust land council, as described in Section 53G-7-1205;
- (ii) school-level educators;
- (iii) parents of students at the school; and
- (iv) school-level administrators.