State law encourages districts to implement parent education or support programs to address family needs.
Indiana Code 20-34-9-5 Student and parent support services grant program
(a) The student and parent support services grant program is established to provide grants to school corporations, charter schools, and state accredited nonpublic schools for the development and implementation of student and parent support services plans to support parents caring for at-risk students. (b) The department, in coordination with the division of mental health and addiction, shall administer the program.
Indiana Code 20-34-9-6 Participation in program — Requirements.
A school corporation, a charter school, or a state accredited nonpublic school must do the following to participate in the program:
- (1) Apply to the department to participate in the program.
- (2) Submit to the department a student and parent support services plan that the school corporation, charter school, or state accredited nonpublic school intends to implement and that includes the following:
- (A) A process for a teacher or school employee to notify a school official to contact a student’s parent if the student demonstrates a repeated pattern of aberrant or abnormal behavior. The parental notification process described in this clause must also include that the school will hold a conference with the student and the student’s parent.
- (B) A requirement that the conference described in clause (A) must address the student’s potential need for and benefit from:
- (i) school based treatment services; or
- (ii) treatment services provided by an outside professional care provider that is contracted and paid for by the school corporation, charter school, or state accredited nonpublic school.
- (C) A procedure for a parent who chooses to seek services for the student to follow that includes granting written parental consent for the student to receive services by a service provider described under clause (B).
- (D) A requirement to ensure that a school shall maintain the confidentiality of any medical records that result from a student’s participation in any treatment described in clause (B). The school must adopt a policy that prohibits the school from:
- (i) sharing any reports or notes resulting from the provision of school based treatment services described in clause (B)(i) with other school officials; and
- (ii) maintaining any reports, notes, diagnosis, or appointments that result from a student’s participation in any treatment described in clause (B)(i) through (B)(ii) in the student’s permanent educational file.