State law encourages districts to adopt plans, policies, or strategies to engage parents and families in the educational process.
Family and Community Engagement: Addressing Equity Through Family and Community Engagement
Document contains information and links to family and community engagement resources for the state of Indiana.
Indiana Administrative Code 512 5-5-2 Designation
(a) The department shall deem any school that applies for an assessment, completes the evaluation process, and is determined to be "excelling" under subsection (b) of this section as an Indiana family friendly school.
(b) The department shall determine the designation level of all schools that apply to the program. The designation level shall be based solely upon the rubric developed under section 1 of this rule. The department shall designate a school as one (1) of the following:
(c) The department shall maintain a list of the following:
(1) All family friendly schools.
(2) The school years during which each school participated in the program.
(3) Their designation level during those school years.
The list shall be posted on the department's website and updated no later than August 1 of each year.
(d) A school's designation as a family friendly school is valid for one (1) school year.
Indiana Administrative Code 512 5-6-1 Reporting requirements
Sec. 1. No later than April 1 of each year, a school that wishes to renew its designation and participation in the program shall report the following information to the department:
- (1) Documentation demonstrating the quality of family engagement and implementation of the program at the school.
- (2) Surveys of teachers, students, and parents, as developed by the department.
- (3) Additional evidence of effective family friendly school practices and activities.
Indiana Administrative Code 512 5-7-1 Guidance
Sec. 1. The department shall make available to schools best practices in developing family engagement and parental involvement in student achievement. The best practices shall be posted on the department's website.