State law addresses alcohol and Drug-use/abuse.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.04.18.01 Comprehensive Health Education Instructional Programs for grades Prekindergarten - 12.
D. Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs. Students will demonstrate the ability to use drug knowledge, decision-making skills, and health enhancing strategies to address, the non-use, use, and abuse of medications, alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
Maryland Code 7-411 Drug addiction and prevention education program
(a) State Board to implement program. -- The State Board shall develop and implement a program of drug addiction and prevention education in the public schools.
(b) Teachers to be trained in drug addiction and prevention education. --
- (1) Except as provided in subsection (c)(2) of this section, this program shall be started before the sixth grade in each public school by teachers who are trained in the field of drug education.
- (2) The State Board shall establish Standard for determining how a teacher is considered to be “trained in the field of drug addiction and prevention education” for the purposes of this section.
(c) Components of program. --
- (1) The program shall include instruction related to heroin and opioid addiction and prevention, including information relating to the lethal effect of fentanyl.
- (2) The instruction required under paragraph (1) of this subsection shall be:
- (i) Delivered in grade bands as follows:
- Third grade through fifth grade;
- Sixth grade through eighth grade; and
- Ninth grade through twelfth grade; and
- (ii) A stand-alone unit in the program
Maryland Code 7-413 Alcohol Abuse Program
(a) State Board to implement program. --
- (1) By the fall of 1978, the State Board shall develop and implement a program of health education that deals specifically with the abuse of alcohol.
- (2) This program may be included in the drug education program under § 7-411 of this subtitle.