State law requires middle school HE curriculum.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.04.18.01 Comprehensive Health Education Instructional Programs for grades Prekindergarten - 12.
A. Each local school system shall:
- (1) Provide in public schools an instructional program in comprehensive health education each year with sufficient frequency and duration to meet the requirements of the State curriculum for all students in grades prekindergarten-8;
- (2) Offer in public schools a comprehensive health education program in grades 9-12 which enables students to meet graduation requirements and to select health education electives;
Maryland Code 7-401 School health program
(a) Duty of county board. -- With the assistance of the county health department, each county board shall provide:
- (1) Adequate school health services;
- (2) Instruction in health education, including the importance of physical activity in maintaining good health; and
- (3) A healthful school environment.