State law addresses asthma plans.
Oregon Revised Statutes 339.866 Self-administration of medication by students
(2) A school district board shall adopt policies and procedures that provide for self-administration of medication by kindergarten through grade 12 students with asthma or severe allergies:
- (a) In school;
- (b) At a school-sponsored activity;
- (c) While under the supervision of school personnel;
- (d) In before-school or after-school care programs on school-owned property; and
- (e) In transit to or from school or school-sponsored activities.
(3) The policies and procedures shall:
- (a) Require that an Oregon licensed health care professional prescribe the medication to be used by the student during school hours and instruct the student in the correct and responsible use of the medication;
- (b) Require that an Oregon licensed health care professional, acting within the scope of the person’s license, formulate a written treatment plan for managing the student’s asthma or severe allergy and for the use of medication by the student during school hours;
- (c) Require that the parent or guardian of the student submit to the school any written documentation required by the school, including any documents related to liability;
- (d) Require that backup medication, if provided by a student’s parent or guardian, be kept at the student’s school in a location to which the student has immediate access in the event the student has an asthma or severe allergy emergency;
Students with Special Care Needs: Asthma
This document reviews the requirements and guidelines for asthma related care