State law addresses asthma plans.
2019 Emergency Guidelines for South Dakota Schools
Guidelines include developing an emergency plan for students with asthma and other conditions
South Dakota Codified Laws 13-32-11. Student self-administration of prescription asthma and anaphylaxis medication.
Any student with asthma or anaphylaxis may possess and self-administer prescription medication while on school property or at a school-related event or activity if: (1) The prescription medication has been prescribed for that student as indicated by the prescription label on the medication; (2) The self-administration is done in compliance with the prescription or written instructions from the student's physician or other licensed health care provider; and (3) A parent of the student provides to the school:
- (a) Written authorization, signed by the parent, for the student to self-administer prescription medication while on school property or at a school-related event or activity;
- (b) A written statement, signed by the parent, in which the parent releases the school district and its employees and agents from liability for an injury arising from the student's self-administration of prescription medication while on school property or at a school-related event or activity unless in cases of wanton or willful misconduct;
- (c) A written statement from the student's physician or other licensed health care provider, signed by the physician or provider, that states:
- (i) The student has asthma or anaphylaxis or both, and is capable of self-administering the prescription medication;
- (ii) The name and purpose of the medication;
- (iii) The prescribed dosage for the medication;
- (iv) The times at which or circumstances under which the medication may be administered; and
- (v) The period for which the medication is prescribed.
The physician's or provider's statement must be kept on file in the office of the school nurse of the school the student attends or, if there is not a school nurse, in the office of the principal of the school the student attends.