State law addresses concussions/return to play.
South Dakota Codified Laws 13-36-11. Removal of athlete exhibiting symptoms of concussion.
An athlete shall be removed from participation in any athletic activity sanctioned by the South Dakota High School Activities Association at the time the athlete:
- (1) Exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion; or
- (2) Is suspected of sustaining a concussion.
South Dakota Codified Laws 13-36-12. Return of athlete to activity.
No athlete who has been removed from participation in an athletic activity sanctioned by the South Dakota High School Activities Association may return to athletic activities until the athlete:
- (1) No longer exhibits signs, symptoms, or behavior consistent with a concussion; and
- (2) Receives an evaluation by a licensed health care provider trained in the evaluation and management of concussions and receives written clearance to return to play from such health care provider.
South Dakota Codified Laws 13-36-9. Concussion guidelines and information sheet.
The guidelines and information sheet shall include protocols and content consistent with current medical knowledge for informing and educating each member school, coach, and athlete participating in athletic activities sanctioned by the South Dakota High School Activities Association, and the athlete's parent or guardian as to:
- (1) The nature and risk of concussions associated with athletic activity;
- (2) The signs, symptoms, and behaviors consistent with a concussion;
- (3) The need to alert appropriate medical professionals for urgent diagnosis or treatment if an athlete is suspected to have received a concussion; and
- (4) The need to follow proper medical direction and protocols for treatment and return to play after an athlete sustains a concussion.