State law addresses concussions/return to play.
CONCUSSION and SUDDEN CARDIAC ARREST ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND SIGNATURE FORM FOR PARENTS AND STUDENT ATHLETES
IC 20-34-7 states that an interscholastic student athlete, in grades 5-12, who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or head injury in a practice or game
Indiana Code 20-34-7-4 Player suspected of sustaining concussion or head injury; removal from play; prohibition against returning to play
Sec. 4. A student athlete who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or head injury in a practice or game:
- (1) shall be removed from play at the time of the injury; and
- (2) may not return to play until the student athlete has received a written clearance under section 5(a) of this chapter.
Indiana Code 20-34-7-5 Health care provider's clearance necessary to return to play; volunteer health care provider immunity
Sec. 5. (a) A student athlete who has been removed from play under section 4 of this chapter may not return to play until:
- (1) the student athlete:
- (A) is evaluated by a licensed health care provider trained in the evaluation and management of concussions and head injuries; and
- (B) receives a written clearance to return to play from the health care provider who evaluated the student athlete; and
- (2) not less than twenty-four (24) hours have passed since the student athlete was removed from play.