State law requires elementary PE curriculum.
8 New York Codes, Rules and Regulations 100.3 Program requirements for students grades prekindergarten through four.
(1) Required subjects. During grades one through four, all students shall receive instruction that is designed to facilitate their attainment of the State elementary learning Standard in:
- (viii) health education, physical education and family and consumer sciences.
- (a) Instruction in health education shall be pursuant to section 135.3(b) of this Title.
- (b) Instruction in physical education shall be pursuant to section 135.4(c)(2)(i) of this Title.
8 New York Codes, Rules and Regulations 135.1 Definitions.
(k) Instructional physical education means the required physical education program which has as its foundation planned sequential learning experiences for all students.
8 New York Codes, Rules and Regulations 135.2 General regulations.
(a) All schools under the jurisdiction of the State Education Department shall provide a program of health, physical education and recreation in an environment conducive to healthful living. This program shall include:
- (1) health and safety education;
- (2) physical education, including athletics; and
- (3) recreation.
8 New York Codes, Rules and Regulations 135.4 Physical education.
(i) Elementary instructional program--grades K through 6. Pupils in grades K - 6 shall participate in the physical education program as follows:
- (a) all pupils in grades K-3 shall participate in the physical education program on a daily basis. All pupils in grades 4-6 shall participate in the physical education program not less than three times each week. The minimum time devoted to such programs (K-6) shall be at least 120 minutes in each calendar week, exclusive of any time that may be required for dressing and showering;
- (b) notwithstanding the provisions of clause (a) of this subparagraph, pupils in grades 5-6 who are in a middle school shall participate in the physical education program a minimum of three periods per calendar week during one semester of each school year and two periods during the other semester, or a comparable time each semester if the school is organized in other patterns; or
- (c) as provided in an equivalent program approved by the Commissioner of Education.
The New York State Physical Education Learning Standard (2020)
Document establishes physical education learning Standard for elementary school students.