State law requires elementary PE curriculum.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.53.101 Explanation of the Content Standard
(1) The content Standard shall be used by school districts to develop local curriculum and assessment in all the content areas including:
- (a) English language proficiency;
- (b) English language arts and literacy;
- (c) mathematics;
- (d) arts;
- (e) health and physical education; and
- (f) science.
(2) The K-12 content Standard describe what students shall know, understand, and be able to do in these content Standard. These K-12 Standard define end-of-year expectations and a cumulative progression designed to enable students to meet college and career readiness expectations no later than the end of high school.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.55.1301 Health Enhancement Program Delivery Standard
(1) In general, a basic health enhancement program shall:
(a) meet the following conditions:
(i) maintain class size in accordance with other curriculum areas;
(ii) focus on the knowledge and skills necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle;
(iii) integrate and include components of the traditional "health" and "physical education" disciplines;
(iv) maintain a program that meets the educational requirements of health enhancement; and
(v) maintain adequate first aid materials and communication device capabilities.
(b) include the following practices:
(i) make appropriate use of technology in the curriculum;
(ii) give students the decision-making tools to promote personal and community responsibility;
(iii) address the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual dimensions of a healthy lifestyle; and
(iv) promote physical activity as a means to a healthy lifestyle.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.55.901 Basic Education Program: Elementary
(1) An elementary school shall have an education program aligned to the program area Standard that enables students to meet the content Standard and content-specific grade-level learning progressions.
Montana Health Enhancement Content Standard (Health and Physical Education)
This document provides physical education content Standard for each grade.