State law requires elementary PE curriculum.
Missouri Code of State Regulations 5 20-100 Appendix A
Each elementary student receives regular instruction in English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, comprehensive health, art, music, and physical education.
Missouri Code of State Regulations 5 20-200.260 Academic Standard
(G) Health/Physical Education. In health/physical education, students in Missouri public schools will acquire a solid foundation which includes knowledge of-
- Structures of, functions of, and relationships among human body systems;
- Principles and practices of physical and mental health (such as personal health habits, nutrition, stress management);
- Diseases and methods for prevention, treatment and control;
- Principles of movement and physical fitness;
- Methods used to assess health, reduce risk factors, and avoid high risk behaviors (such as violence, tobacco, alcohol and other drug use);
- Consumer health issues (such as the effects of mass media and technology on safety and health); and
- Responses to emergency situations.
Physical Education Grade Level Expectations
The Physical Education Grade Level Expectations establish the content and skills that students should learn in physical education in grades K-12.