State law requires middle school PE curriculum.
New Mexico Administrative Code 188.8.131.52 Requirements
D. The wellness policy shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- (2) a planned, sequential, K-12 physical education curriculum that provides the optimal opportunity for all students to learn and develop skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary to personally decide to participate in lifetime healthful physical activity and is aligned to the physical education content Standard with benchmarks and performance Standard as set forth in 184.108.40.206 NMAC;
New Mexico Administrative Code 220.127.116.11 Program Requirements
(4) In fourth through eighth grades, instruction that meets academic content and performance Standard shall be provided in the following subject areas:
- (l) physical education; and
- (m) health education.
New Mexico Statutes 22-13-1. Subject areas; minimum instructional areas required; accreditation.
D. In fourth through eighth grades, instruction that meets academic content and performance Standard shall be provided in the following subject areas:
- (1) reading and language arts skills, with an emphasis on writing and editing for at least one year and an emphasis on grammar and writing for at least one year;
- (2) mathematics;
- (3) language other than English;
- (4) communication skills;
- (5) science;
- (6) art;
- (7) music;
- (8) social studies;
- (9) New Mexico history;
- (10) United States history;
- (11) geography;
- (12) physical education; and
- (13) health education.
Physical Education Grades 5-8
Document establishes physical education Standard for middle school students.