State law requires middle school PE curriculum.
Missouri Code of State Regulations 5 20-100 Appendix A
Each junior high/middle school student will receive regular instruction in English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, career education, health, and physical education and will have access to art and music plus four (4) exploratory classes.
Missouri Code of State Regulations 5 20-200.260 Academic Standard
(G) Health/Physical Education. In health/physical education, students in Missouri public schools will acquire a solid foundation which includes knowledge of-
- Structures of, functions of, and relationships among human body systems;
- Principles and practices of physical and mental health (such as personal health habits, nutrition, stress management);
- Diseases and methods for prevention, treatment and control;
- Principles of movement and physical fitness;
- Methods used to assess health, reduce risk factors, and avoid high risk behaviors (such as violence, tobacco, alcohol and other drug use);
- Consumer health issues (such as the effects of mass media and technology on safety and health); and
- Responses to emergency situations.
Physical Education Grade Level Expectations
The Physical Education Grade Level Expectations establish the content and skills that students should learn in physical education in grades K-12.