State law addresses making PE inclusive, including adapted PE or accommodations when necessary.
Mississippi Administrative Code 7-3-38.12.1 Appendix
- Adapted Physical Education Refer to the students Individualized Education Program and allow parents to provide input into their child's involvement in activity based programs.
Mississippi Administrative Code 7-34-300.108 Physical education
Each public agency in Mississippi must comply with the following--
- (a) General. Physical education services, specially designed if necessary, must be made available to every child with a disability receiving FAPE, unless the public agency enrolls children without disabilities and does not provide physical education to children without disabilities in the same grades.
- (b) Regular physical education. Each child with a disability must be afforded the opportunity to participate in the regular physical education program available to nondisabled children unless--
- (1) The child is enrolled full time in a separate facility; or
- (2) The child needs specially designed physical education, as prescribed in the child's IEP.
- (c) Special physical education. If specially designed physical education is prescribed in a child's IEP, the public agency responsible for the education of that child must provide the services directly or make arrangements for those services to be provided through other public or private programs.
- (d) Education in separate facilities. The public agency responsible for the education of a child with a disability who is enrolled in a separate facility must ensure that the child receives appropriate physical education services.