State law encourages districts to implement building risk or hazard assessment protocols.
Idaho Statutes 33-5902. Legislative intent
It is the intent of the legislature that the purpose of this chapter is to:
- (1) Promote the safety and security of the students attending the public educational institutions of the state;
- (2) Provide recommendations, systems and training to assist public educational institutions at all levels for the safety and security of students;
- (3) Enhance the safety and security resources available to public educational institutions;
- (4) Ensure that periodic security assessments of statewide public educational institutions are conducted and reported;
- (5) Ensure that surveys are conducted and research information is reported to appropriate parties;
- (6) Promote the use of technical methods, devices and improvements to address school security;
- (7) Encourage the recognition of security design to be incorporated in future construction or renovation of public educational institutions; and
- (8) Provide written reports of security assessments to appropriate school administrative authorities.
Idaho Statutes 33-5904 Office of School Safety and Security.
(1) There is hereby established in the Idaho division of building safety the office of school safety and security. The administrator of the division of building safety may hire a manager of the office of school safety and security who shall be responsible for the performance of the regular administrative functions of the office and other duties as the administrator may direct. The manager of the office of school safety and security shall be a nonclassified employee. The administrator of the division of building safety may employ persons in addition to the manager in other positions or capacities as he or she deems necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the office of school safety and security as set forth in this section. The administrator shall provide an office, office equipment and facilities as may be reasonably necessary for the proper performance of the duties of the office manager and other office personnel.
(2) The administrator of the division of building safety and the manager and other personnel of the office of school safety and security may enter all public educational facilities in this state at reasonable times to conduct annual assessments for consistency with the school safety and security guidelines developed by the Idaho school safety and security advisory board. To the extent possible, such assessments should occur simultaneously with inspections conducted pursuant to section 39-8008, Idaho Code. The office of school safety and security shall prepare a written report for each security assessment it conducts. At a minimum, such reports shall include any safety or security vulnerabilities found in the subject school and recommendations for remedying such vulnerabilities. The office shall provide a copy of the report to the local education agency and to the school principal or president. The office shall also prepare an annual report, a copy of which shall be submitted to the state board of education and to the Idaho school safety and security advisory board each year.
(3) Upon request of any public educational institution, the office of school safety and security shall provide training and technical assistance on best practices and resources for school safety and security as set forth in the guidelines established by the Idaho school safety and security advisory board.
(4) The Idaho division of building safety may receive grant moneys on behalf of the office of school safety and security to carry out the responsibilities of the office.
(5) On July 1 of each year, or as soon as practicable, the state controller shall transfer three hundred thousand dollars ($ 300,000) from the public school income fund to the division of building safety's miscellaneous revenue fund 0349 for the purposes of this section.
Idaho Statutes 33-5905 Idaho school safety and security advisory board
(1) There is hereby established in the Idaho division of building safety the Idaho school safety and security advisory board. The advisory board shall consist of thirteen (13) members as follows:
- (a) Four (4) members appointed by the governor as follows:
- (i) One (1) parent of a student who attends an Idaho public school;
- (ii) One (1) teacher who teaches in an Idaho public school;
- (iii) One (1) representative of a local school board; and
- (iv) One (1) representative of school superintendents;
- (b) One (1) representative from the office of the state superintendent of public instruction;
- (c) One (1) representative from the state board of education;
- (d) One (1) representative from the Idaho state police;
- (e) One (1) representative from the Idaho chiefs of police association;
- (f) One (1) representative from the Idaho sheriffs' association;
- (g) One (1) representative from the Idaho office of emergency management;
- (h) One (1) representative from the Idaho fire chiefs association; and
- (i) Two (2) representatives from the state legislature that shall include one (1) member from the senate appointed by the president pro tempore of the senate and one (1) member from the house of representatives appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.
(2) The members of the advisory board shall serve the following terms:
- (a) The gubernatorial appointees shall serve terms of three (3) years.
- (b) All other members shall serve terms of two (2) years.
(3) A vacancy on the advisory board shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment and for the balance of the unexpired term.
(4) The advisory board shall appoint a chairperson from among its members for a term certain.
(5) The members of the advisory board shall be compensated as provided in section 59-509(b), Idaho Code.
(6) The advisory board shall meet at least annually, but may meet more frequently subject to the call of the chairperson.