State law encourages districts to implement building risk or hazard assessment protocols.
Kentucky Revised Statutes 158.4410 State school security marshal, duties and responsibilities — Marshal appointed by and reporting to the commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Training — Annual report to the Center for School Safety, the Legislative Research Commission, and the Kentucky Board of Education — School security risk assessment tool, purpose — Areas considered when evaluating school security — Annual verification of completion of state security risk assessment — Additional mandatory training, when required.
(5) By July 1, 2020, the state school security marshal shall develop and update as necessary a school security risk assessment tool in collaboration with the Center for School Safety and the Kentucky Department of Education to be used by local school districts to identify threats, vulnerabilities, and appropriate safety controls for each school within the district. The tool shall be approved by the board of directors of the Center for School Safety pursuant to KRS 158.443(9)(b) and used by local school administrators when completing a school security risk assessment in accordance with this section.
(6) The assessment tool shall enable administrators to evaluate school security compared to best practices and Standard in a minimum of the following areas:
- (a) School emergency and crisis preparedness planning;
- (b) Security, crime, and violence prevention policies and procedures;
- (c) Physical security measures;
- (d) Professional development training needs;
- (e) Support service roles in school safety, security, and emergency and crisis preparedness planning;
- (f) School resource officer staffing, operational practices, and related services;
- (g) School and community collaboration on school security; and
- (h) An analysis of the cost effectiveness of recommended physical security controls.
(7) No later than July 15, 2021, and each subsequent year, the local district superintendent shall send verification to the state school security marshal and the Kentucky Department of Education that all schools within the district have completed the school security risk assessment for the previous year. School security risk assessments shall be excluded from the application of KRS 61.870 to 61.884 pursuant to KRS 61.878(1)(m).
(8) Beginning with the 2021-2022 school year and each subsequent year, any school that has not completed a school security risk assessment in the previous year shall be required to provide additional mandatory training as established by the Department of Criminal Justice Training for all staff employed at the school.
Kentucky Revised Statutes 158.4412 Appointment of district-level school administrator to serve as district’s school safety coordinator — School safety coordinator’s functions and duties — Policies and procedures excluded from application of KRS 61.870 to 61.884 — Limitation of civil and criminal liability for school district, school safety coordinator, and school employees acting in good faith.
(2) The district’s school safety coordinator shall: (c) Provide training to school principals within the district on procedures for completion of the school security risk assessment required pursuant to KRS 158.4410;
- (d) Review all school security risk assessments completed within the district and prescribe recommendations as needed in consultation with the state school security marshal;
- (e) Advise the local school district superintendent by July 1, 2021, and annually thereafter of completion of required security risk assessments;