Topic is not addressed in state statutes or regulations, but is addressed in non-codified policy.
Indiana Code 10-21-1-2 Purpose of Indiana secured school fund.
(a) The Indiana secured school fund is established to provide matching grants to enable school corporations and charter schools to establish programs under which a school corporation or charter school (or a coalition of schools) may:
- (1) employ a school resource officer or enter into a contract or a memorandum of understanding with a:
- (A) local law enforcement agency;
- (B) private entity; or
- (C) nonprofit corporation; to employ a school resource officer;
- (2) conduct a threat assessment of the buildings within a school corporation or operated by a charter school; or
- (3) purchase equipment and technology to:
- (A) restrict access to school property; or
- (B) expedite notification of first responders.
Indiana Code 10-21-1-4 Matching grant for school corporation, charter school, or accredited nonpublic school.
(a) The board may award a matching grant to enable a school corporation, charter school, or accredited nonpublic school (or a coalition of schools applying jointly) to establish a program to employ a school resource officer, provide school resource officer training described in IC 20-26-18.2-1(b)(2), conduct a threat assessment, or purchase equipment to restrict access to the school or expedite the notification of first responders in accordance with section 2(a)(1) [IC 10-21-1-2(a)(1)] of this chapter.
Indiana Code 10-21-1-5 Matching grant application; contents; threat assessment
(c) Before July 1, 2021, each school corporation, charter school, or accredited nonpublic school shall certify to the department of homeland security that the school corporation, charter school, or accredited nonpublic school has conducted a threat assessment for each school building used by the school corporation, charter school, or accredited nonpublic school before applying for a grant under this chapter.
Indiana Code 20-19-3-14 Establishment and responsibilities of division of school building physical security and safety.
(b) As used in this section, “physical security” refers to security measures that are designed to deny unauthorized access to a building or facility, including equipment and resources, and to protect individuals and property from damage or harm. (c) The division of school building physical security and safety is established within the department. (d) The division shall:
- (1) establish and maintain guidelines for using professional architectural and engineering services to integrate physical security improvements and safety practices in the construction, renovation, repair, or alteration of a school facility; (e) The division may, upon request by a school corporation:
- (1) review a school safety plan;
- (2) provide an onsite safety review for a school; and
- (3) provide guidance or assistance relating to school safety matters to the school corporation.