Topic is not addressed in state statutes or regulations, but is addressed in non-codified policy.
Iowa Administrative Code 281-12.3 Administration.
12.3(13) Policy declaring harassment and bullying against state and school policy. The policy adopted by the board regarding harassment of or by students and staff shall declare harassment and bullying in schools, on school property, and at any school function or school-sponsored activity regardless of its location to be against state and school policy. The board shall make a copy of the policy available to all school employees, volunteers, students, and parents or guardians and shall take all appropriate steps to bring the policy against harassment and bullying and the responsibilities set forth in the policy to the attention of school employees, volunteers, students, and parents or guardians.
Iowa Code 142D.3 Prohibition of smoking - public places places of employment and outdoor areas.
Smoking is prohibited and a person shall not smoke in any of the following:
- a. Public places.
- b. All enclosed areas within places of employment including but not limited to work areas, private offices, conference and meeting rooms, classrooms, auditoriums, employee lounges and cafeterias, hallways, medical facilities, restrooms, elevators, stairways and stairwells, and vehicles owned, leased, or provided by the employer unless otherwise provided under this chapter.
In addition to the prohibitions specified in subsection 1, smoking is prohibited and a person shall not smoke in or on any of the following outdoor areas:
- a. The seating areas of outdoor sports arenas, stadiums, amphitheaters, and other entertainment venues where members of the general public assemble to witness entertainment events.
- b. Outdoor seating or serving areas of restaurants.
- c. Public transit stations, platforms, and shelters under the authority of the state or its political subdivisions.
- d. School grounds, including parking lots, athletic fields, playgrounds, tennis courts, and any other outdoor area under the control of a public or private educational facility, including inside any vehicle located on such school grounds.
Iowa Code 279.9 Use of tobacco alcoholic beverages or controlled substances.
The rules shall prohibit the use of tobacco and the use or possession of alcoholic liquor, wine, or beer or any controlled substance as defined in section 124.101, subsection 5, by any student of the schools and the board may suspend or expel a student for a violation of a rule under this section.
Smoking and Vaping on School Grounds
Webpage gives information about school environment smoking policies