Topic is not addressed in state statutes or regulations, but is addressed in non-codified policy.
19 V.I.C. § 1482 Definitions
(9) “Public place” means any portion of any place in which the public is invited or permitted, regardless of whether that place is owned in whole or in part, rented or leased by private persons or entities, the Government of the Virgin Islands, agencies or instrumentalities of the Government of the Virgin Islands, and regardless of whether a fee is charged for admission. The term includes inner and outer portions of restaurants, bars, taverns, clubs, lounges, cabarets, casinos and all other gaming facilities; hotels, resorts, guesthouses and inns; public, private and parochial schools; universities, colleges and other educational facilities; laundromats; malls, shopping centers, retail stores and service establishments; financial institutions; waiting rooms and lobbies of offices; public libraries and restrooms; bus and taxi stops; hospitals, healthcare facilities, nursing homes, and auditoriums; galleries, museums, arenas, theaters, beaches, parks, playgrounds, ticket areas, bowling alleys; skating rinks and outdoor recreational facilities. The term does not include a private residence unless the private residence is used as a hospice, childcare, adult day care or health care facility.
19 V.I.C. § 1483 Prohibition
(a) Except as provided in section 1484, smoking is prohibited in the Virgin Islands in:
- (1) enclosed areas of public places;
- (2) enclosed areas of places of employment;
- (3) any outdoor service or waiting line and in, and within twenty feet from any point of any service or waiting line; and
- (4) and within twenty feet of all outdoor public transportation stations and platform shelters opened to the public.