Topic is not addressed in state statutes or regulations, but is addressed in non-codified policy.
Alabama Administrative Code 290-3-1-.02 Regulations Governing Public Schools.
(1) (f) 2. Requirements.
- (v) The use of physical restraint is prohibited in Alabama public schools and educational programs except in those situations in which the student is an immediate danger to himself or others and the student is not responsive to less intensive behavioral interventions including verbal directives or other de-escalation techniques. Notwithstanding the foregoing, physical restraint is prohibited in Alabama public schools and educational programs when used as a form of discipline or punishment.
- (vi) All physical restraint must be immediately terminated when the student is no longer an immediate danger to himself or others or if the student is observed to be in severe distress.
Code of Alabama 22-15A-4 Prohibition against smoking in public places; exceptions.
(a) No person shall smoke in a public place or at a public meeting except as otherwise provided in this subsection and in 22-15A-7. This prohibition does not apply in any of the following places:
- (1) Bars and lounges.
- (2) Retail tobacco stores and tobacco businesses.
- (3) Limousines used under private hire by an individual or corporation.
- (4) Hotel and motel rooms rented to guests, except for those rooms designated by the hotels and motels as “no smoking” rooms.
(b) Smoking by patients in a chemical dependency treatment program or mental health program may be allowed in a separated well-ventilated area pursuant to a policy established by the administrator of the program that identifies circumstances in which prohibiting smoking would interfere with the treatment of persons recovering from chemical dependency or mental illness.
Code of Alabama 22-15A-6 Designation of smoking areas; requirements; nonsmoking policies.
(a) Pursuant to this section, the person in charge of a public place may designate an area for the use of smokers. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a smoking area may not be designated and no person may smoke in any of the following unless the area is enclosed and well ventilated:
- (1) Child care facilities.
- (2) Hospitals, health care clinics, doctors’ offices, physical therapy facilities, and dentists’ offices.
- (3) Elevators.
- (4) Buses, taxicabs, and other means of public conveyance.
- (5) Government buildings, except private offices.
- (6) Restrooms.
- (7) Service lines.
- (8) Public areas of aquariums, galleries, libraries, and museums.
- (9) Lobbies, hallways, and other common areas in apartment buildings, senior citizen residences, nursing homes, and other multiple-unit residential facilities.
- (10) Polling places.
- (11) Schools or other school facilities or enclosed school sponsored events for grades K-12.