Limited to prohibiting student possession or use of tobacco or tobacco products.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.02.04.01 Scope.
These regulations require each local school system to maintain a tobacco-free school environment.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.02.04.02 Definitions.
A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
- (1) "Official school day" means the regular school day with a designated starting time and ending time as defined by the local school system.
- (2) "School buildings" means local school system owned or leased buildings.
- (3) "School grounds" means local school system owned or leased land that surrounds a school building.
- (4) Tobacco.
- (a) "Tobacco" means products derived from the tobacco plant that are smoked, chewed, sniffed, or otherwise consumed.
- (b) "Tobacco" does not include nicotine replacement therapy.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.02.04.03 Tobacco Use.
The sale or use of tobacco in any form is prohibited in school buildings at all times. In addition, the sale or use of tobacco in any form is prohibited on school grounds during the official school day.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.02.04.04 Notification of a Tobacco-Free Environment.
Each local school system shall post notification to students, staff, and the general public that school buildings and grounds are tobacco-free.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.02.04.05 Tobacco-Free Guidelines.
The State Department of Education shall develop guidelines to assist the local school systems in implementing a tobacco-free environment.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.02.04.06 Smoking Cessation Classes.
Each local school system is encouraged to make smoking cessation classes available to all employees.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.02.04.07 Certification Procedures.
By September 1, 1993, each local superintendent of schools shall certify in writing to the State Superintendent of Schools that the regulations in this chapter are implemented.
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.08.01.08 Substance Use or Distribution.
B. Tobacco. Students are prohibited from possessing or using tobacco in any form on the school premises.