State law encourages districts to operate alternative school programs or to ensure access to educational services to expelled students in an alternative setting.
17 Guam Code Annotated 42101 Definitions.
As used in this Chapter:
- (a) student means a student enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an alternative education program;
- (b) alternative education program or program means a wide ranging system of alternative programs significantly different from the conventional curricula of the public secondary school system which is open to students on an optional basis.
17 Guam Code Annotated 42102 Organization.
The Territorial Board of Education shall promulgate policies, rules and regulations governing the alternative education program.
17 Guam Code Annotated 42103 Curriculum.
The alternative education program shall consist of a curriculum that would permit those students who do not profit from the conventional classroom program to pursue studies that would permit completion of basic life skills, career guidance, including work experience which would take into consideration an open entry-open exit procedure for enrolling and discharging students.
17 Guam Code Annotated 42104 Enrollment and Withdrawal.
Students may enroll in the alternative education program at the beginning of an academic period and may withdraw from the program only at the end of said period. A student shall be admitted to the program:
- (1) at the request of the student and his parents;
- (2) at the request of at least three (3) of the student's teachers with the consent of the student's guidance counselor, principal and the student himself and the student's parents;
- (3) at the request of the administrator of the Pupil Personnel Office of the department with the consent of the student and his parents; and
- (4) at the direction of a judge of the Superior Court.
17 Guam Code Annotated 42105 Community Involvement.
The Territorial Board of Education shall endeavor to obtain the participation of the community as a major part of the alternative education program. This participation shall consist among other things, utilization of community resources in employment, and on-the-job training, and the use of parents, professionals, technicians, clergy, government leaders and other talented members of the community of teachers or resource personnel in the education and training of students in the program.
Board of Education Policy 405 Student Suspension Expulsion
Board policy ensures opportunities for students to receive educational services during a period of suspension or expulsion, or during the appeals process.