State law encourages districts to provide safeguards, counseling or other supportive services or interventions, or requires districts to provide students with resources and referrals without mandating the provision of direct services or interventions.
Code of Alabama 16-28B-4. Prohibited behavior; complaints; school plans or programs.
(d) Each school shall develop plans or programs, including, but not limited to, peer mediation teams, in an effort to encourage students to report and address incidents of bullying, violence, or threats of violence. At the beginning of each school year, each school shall programmatically address the issue of bullying and school violence with faculty and students. The program shall include a discussion of available resources and shall encourage the reporting of incidents of bullying. Each school shall also periodically convene a committee of faculty and students to review and discuss the issue of bullying and make recommendations to school administrators regarding school climate, safety, and bullying. The local superintendent of education may report any recommendations to the local board for its consideration.
Code of Alabama 16-28B-8 Suicide prevention programs training and policies; advisory committee; liability.
(a) To the extent that the Legislature shall appropriate funds, or to the extent that any local board may provide funds from other sources, each school system shall implement the following Standard and policies for programs in an effort to prevent student suicide:
- (1) Foster individual, family, and group counseling services related to suicide prevention.
- (2) Make referral, crisis intervention, and other related information available for students, parents, and school personnel.
- (3) Foster training for school personnel who are responsible for counseling and supervising students.
- (4) Increase student awareness of the relationship between drug and alcohol use and suicide.
- (5) Educate students in recognizing signs of suicidal tendencies and other facts and warning signs of suicide.
- (6) Inform students of available community suicide prevention services.