State law encourages districts to provide professional development for school personnel on bullying prevention and response, or requires districts to review district policy content.
Code of Alabama 16-28B-8 Suicide prevention programs training and policies; advisory committee; liability.
(a) To the extent that the Legislature shall appropriate funds, or to the extent that any local board may provide funds from other sources, each school system shall implement the following Standard and policies for programs in an effort to prevent student suicide:
- (1) Foster individual, family, and group counseling services related to suicide prevention.
- (2) Make referral, crisis intervention, and other related information available for students, parents, and school personnel.
- (3) Foster training for school personnel who are responsible for counseling and supervising students.
- (4) Increase student awareness of the relationship between drug and alcohol use and suicide.
- (5) Educate students in recognizing signs of suicidal tendencies and other facts and warning signs of suicide.
- (6) Inform students of available community suicide prevention services.