State law requires SROs to complete specialized training to meet the safety needs of the school environment.
Nevada Revised Statutes 280.287. Contract for provision and supervision of police services in public schools and charter schools; qualifications and training for officers assigned to school police unit.
- The department may enter into a contract with the board of trustees of the school district located in the county served by the department for the provision and supervision of police services in the public schools within the school district and any charter school with which the board of trustees has entered into a contract for the provision of school police officers pursuant to NRS 388A.384, and on property owned by the school district and, if applicable, on property owned or operated by a charter school. If the department enters into a contract pursuant to this section, the department shall create a separate unit designated as the school police unit for this purpose.
- The department may establish different qualifications and training requirements for officers assigned to the school police unit than those generally applicable to officers of the department.
Nevada Revised Statutes 388.14538. Handle with Care Program: Establishment; notification of exposure of child to traumatic event or certain other events; training; regulations.
- The Director shall provide training regarding: (a) The Handle with Care Program to law enforcement agencies and employees of law enforcement agencies that may respond to a traumatic event involving a child, the board of trustees of a school district, the governing body of a charter school and any other entity whose employees and volunteers the Director determines should receive training regarding the Program
Nevada Revised Statutes 388.2565. Training for school resource officers in prevention of suicide.
The board of trustees of a school district, governing body of a charter school or governing body of a university school for profoundly gifted pupils shall:
- Ensure that each school resource officer receives training in the prevention of suicide; and
- Allow a school resource officer to complete the training required by subsection 1 electronically and during working hours.
Nevada Revised Statutes 391.281. Fingerprinting and investigation into the background of applicant for employment or appointment as school police officer and certain nonlicensed employees; use of certain information; disqualification of certain applicants, employees and volunteers; acceptance of gifts, grants and donations; immunity from liability; employment of school police officers; contract for police services; training in prevention of suicide.
- The board of trustees of a school district shall ensure that each school police officer receives training in the prevention of suicide before beginning his or her service as a school police officer.