State law requires districts to provide professional development for school personnel on cultural competency.
Nevada Revised Statutes 391.019. Regulations prescribing qualifications for licensure; fields of specialization in teaching; endorsements; issuance of licenses pursuant to alternative routes. [Effective July 1 2019.]
- Except as otherwise provided in NRS 391.027, the Commission shall adopt regulations:
- (h) Establishing the requirements for obtaining an endorsement on the license of a teacher, administrator or other educational personnel in cultural competency.
Nevada Revised Statutes 391A.125. Provision of training to teachers other licensed educational personnel and administrators; maintenance and distribution of training list; authority of regional training program to contract with board of trustees to prov
- Based upon the priorities of programs prescribed by the State Board pursuant to subsection 4 of NRS 391A.505 and the assessment of needs for training within the region and priorities of training adopted by the governing body pursuant to NRS 391A.175, each regional training program shall provide:
- (a) Training for teachers and other licensed educational personnel in the:
- (1) Standard established by the Council to Establish Academic Standard for Public Schools pursuant to NRS 389.520;
- (2) Curriculum and instruction required for the Standard adopted by the State Board;
- (3) Curriculum and instruction recommended by the Teachers and Leaders Council of Nevada; and
- (4) Culturally relevant pedagogy, taking into account cultural diversity and demographic differences throughout this State.
Nevada Revised Statutes 391A.370. Teachers and administrators to have access to professional development training; Standard and minimum requirements of training; professional development training concerning computer science and computer education and te
- The board of trustees of each school district and the governing body of each charter school shall ensure that the teachers and administrators employed by the school district or charter school have access to high-quality, ongoing professional development training. The professional development training must meet the Standard prescribed by the State Board pursuant to subsection 1 and include, without limitation, training concerning:
- (a) The academic Standard adopted by the State Board, including, without limitation, the academic Standard for science.
- (b) The academic Standard and curriculum in English language development and literacy.
- (c) The curriculum and instruction required for courses of study in:
- (1) Science, technology, engineering and mathematics, including, without limitation and to the extent applicable, computer science and computer education and technology.
- (2) English language development and literacy.
- (d) The cultural competency required to meet the social, emotional and academic needs of certain categories of pupils enrolled in the school, including, without limitation, pupils who are at risk, pupils who are English learners, pupils with disabilities and gifted and talented pupils.
Nevada's Standard for Professional Development
This document describes the Standard for professional development established by the Nevada Department of Education. One of the Standard is cultural competency.