Tennessee - Policies or Plans to Encourage Community Involvement: Policy or plan Requirement
2017 Tennessee Code Annotated 49-50-201. General provisions.
(a) In order to provide for increased involvement of citizens in their local schools through community schools advisory councils, to assure maximum use of public school facilities by the citizens of each community in this state and to encourage community educational programs on a county-wide or multicounty-wide basis to provide the best possible programs for the least cost without duplication of efforts, the state board of education may adopt appropriate rules and regulations for encouraging increased community involvement in public schools and the usage of the public school facilities as community educational centers. The rules and regulations may consider and include, but not necessarily be limited to, provisions for:
- (1) The use of public school facilities by governmental, charitable or civic organizations for activities within the community;
- (2) The utilization of the talents and abilities of volunteers within the community for the enhancement of public school programs, including tutoring, counseling and cultural programs and projects; and
- (3) Increased communications between the staff and faculty of the public schools, other community institutions and agencies and citizens in the community.
(b) The state board of education may further establish guidelines governing the submission and approval of community educational programs prepared by local boards for encouraging increased community involvement in the public schools and use of public school facilities.
(c) Every local board of education may:
- (1) Develop programs and plans for increased community involvement and learning opportunities in the public schools based upon rules and guidelines adopted by the state board of education;
- (2) Develop programs and plans for increased community use of public school facilities based upon rules and guidelines adopted by the state board of education; and
- (3) Establish rules governing the implementation of the programs and plans in its public schools and submit these rules along with adopted programs and plans to the state board of education for approval.