State law requires the provision of school counseling or guidance services in secondary grade levels (9-12).
200-RICR-20-10-1.3.1 Academic Supports and Intervention
C. Personalized Learning Environment
- Each LEA shall ensure that schools will implement strategies for creating personalized environments to optimize learning. Each LEA shall:
- a. Establish PK-12 protocols for communication and record sharing that will facilitate successful transition from grade to grade, school to school, district to district, and high school to postsecondary opportunities;
- b. Establish structures by which every student is assigned a responsible adult, in addition to a school counselor (where applicable), who is knowledgeable about that student's academic, career, and social and personal goals; and
- c. Establish protocols for the development, implementation and student-based monitoring of Individual Learning Plans.
D. Comprehensive Guidance.
- Each LEA shall establish and maintain a Comprehensive School Counseling Guidance (CSC) Program, including guidance and counseling services, available to all students in grades K-12. Each LEA shall ensure that the CSC Guidance program shall:
- a. Be developed and delivered in accordance with the Rhode Island Framework for Comprehensive K-12 School Counseling Programs;
- b. Support each student in meeting the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Standard in the academic, career, and personal and social domains;
- c. Be a coordinated effort among the professional counseling staff and the rest of the educational community; and
- d. Include services to be provided to students at each developmental stage and specify how the services will be provided to all students.
The Rhode Island Framework for Comprehensive K-12 School Counseling Programs
This framework lays out Rhode Island’s commitment to school counseling and proivdes resources on how to promote comprehensive, developmental K-12 school counseling programs that create opportunities for all students.