State law addresses healthy eating/nutrition.
7-8 Health Education Curriculum Legislated Requirements
The Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 3313.60 states that the board of each cooperative education school district shall prescribe a curriculum for all schools under its control for health education. The health education curriculum must include: · The nutritive value of foods, including natural and organically produced foods, the relation of nutrition to health, and the use and effects of food additives; · The harmful effects of and legal restrictions against the use of drugs of abuse, alcoholic beverages, and tobacco; · Venereal disease education, except that upon written request of the student's parent or guardian, a student shall be excused from taking instruction in venereal disease education; This content should also address ORC 3313.6011 · In grades seven through twelve, age-appropriate instruction in dating violence prevention education, which shall include instruction in recognizing dating violence warning signs and characteristics of healthy relationships. · In order to assist school districts in developing a dating violence prevention education curriculum, the department of education shall provide on its web site links to free curricula addressing dating violence prevention. If the parent or legal guardian of a student less than eighteen years of age submits to the principal of the student's school a written request to examine the dating violence prevention instruction materials used at that school, the principal, within a reasonable period of time after the request is made, shall allow the parent or guardian to examine those materials at that school. · Prescription opioid abuse prevention, with an emphasis on the prescription drug epidemic and the connection between prescription opioid abuse and addiction to other drugs, such as heroin. Furthermore, Governor's Cabinet Opiate Action Team has provided recommendations for instruction in prescription opioid abuse prevention. *The district should consider age-appropriate content and develop their own curriculum based on the needs of their students and community.
Ohio Revised Code 3313.60 Prescribed curriculum.
(A) The board of education of each city, exempted village, and local school district and the board of each cooperative education school district established, pursuant to section 3311.521 of the Revised Code, shall prescribe a curriculum for all schools under its control. Except as provided in division (E) of this section, in any such curriculum there shall be included the study of the following subjects:
- (1) The language arts, including reading, writing, spelling, oral and written English, and literature;
- (2) Geography, the history of the United States and of Ohio, and national, state, and local government in the United States, including a balanced presentation of the relevant contributions to society of men and women of African, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and American Indian descent as well as other ethnic and racial groups in Ohio and the United States;
- (3) Mathematics;
- (4) Natural science, including instruction in the conservation of natural resources;
- (5) Health education, which shall include instruction in:
- (a) The nutritive value of foods, including natural and organically produced foods, the relation of nutrition to health, and the use and effects of food additives;
- (b) The harmful effects of and legal restrictions against the use of drugs of abuse, alcoholic beverages, and tobacco;