State law addresses healthy eating/nutrition.
Nevada Academic Content Standard for Health
The health content Standard address nutrition in health education in middle school grades.
Nevada Administrative Code 389.381 Sixth through eighth grades: Health.
Instruction in sixth grade, seventh grade and eighth grade in health must be designed so that pupils meet the following performance Standard by the completion of the eighth grade:
- Comprehend concepts related to the promotion of health and the prevention of disease to enhance health, as demonstrated by the ability of the pupil to:
- (a) Analyze the relationship between behaviors concerning the health of a person and personal health;
- (b) Identify the behaviors of a person that affect the function and development of the systems of the human body, including, without limitation, the human reproductive system in accordance with NRS 389.036;
- (c) Explain the interrelationships between the physical, emotional, intellectual and social health in adolescence;
- (d) Define personal boundaries and clear personal limits for the pupil;
- (e) Respect the personal boundaries and clear personal limits of other persons;
- (f) Describe how age, gender, physical activity, lifestyle and heredity affect the nutrient needs of a person;
- (g) Analyze the use of a substance that is beneficial to a person and the use of a substance that is harmful to a person;
- (h) Develop a plan for personal safety to reduce or prevent injuries;
- (i) Examine the likelihood that a person will suffer a serious injury or illness if the person engages in behaviors that increase the risk of such an injury or illness;