State law addresses healthy eating/nutrition.
Health Education Standard Grades 5-8
Healthy eating/nutrition is taught as part of health education.
New Mexico Administrative Code 220.127.116.11 Content Standard with Benchmarks and Performance Standard for Health Education Grades 5-8
A. Content standard 1: Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention. Students will:
- (1) grades 5-8 benchmark 1: explain the relationship between positive health behaviors and the prevention of injury, illness, disease and premature death;
- (b) grades 7-8 performance Standard:
- (i) understand risk factors and their association with health consequences in the areas related to sexuality; nutrition; alcohol, tobacco and other drug use; physical activity; personal safety; mental, social and emotional well-being;
- (ii) understand how healthy alternatives can replace unhealthy behaviors (i.e., abstinence, condom use, other pregnancy prevention methods, selection of healthy food choices, "natural highs," etc.);
- (iii) analyze how personal daily choices can affect future health status;