State law requires middle school HE curriculum.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.53.101 Explanation of the Content Standard
(1) The content Standard shall be used by school districts to develop local curriculum and assessment in all the content areas including:
- (a) English language proficiency;
- (b) English language arts and literacy;
- (c) mathematics;
- (d) arts;
- (e) health and physical education; and
- (f) science.
(2) The K-12 content Standard describe what students shall know, understand, and be able to do in these content Standard. These K-12 Standard define end-of-year expectations and a cumulative progression designed to enable students to meet college and career readiness expectations no later than the end of high school.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.55.1301 Health Enhancement Program Delivery Standard
(1) In general, a basic health enhancement program shall:
(a) meet the following conditions:
(i) maintain class size in accordance with other curriculum areas;
(ii) focus on the knowledge and skills necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle;
(iii) integrate and include components of the traditional "health" and "physical education" disciplines;
(iv) maintain a program that meets the educational requirements of health enhancement; and
(v) maintain adequate first aid materials and communication device capabilities.
(b) include the following practices:
(i) make appropriate use of technology in the curriculum;
(ii) give students the decision-making tools to promote personal and community responsibility;
(iii) address the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual dimensions of a healthy lifestyle; and
(iv) promote physical activity as a means to a healthy lifestyle.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.55.1302 Health Enhancement Participation
(1) Each student shall participate in a health enhancement program which is based on age, ability, and aptitude.
Administrative Rules of Montana 10.55.902 Basic Education Program: Middle Grades
(3) The Board of Public Education, upon recommendation of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, may approve a middle school program that:
- (d) includes, at a minimum, the following program areas, required of all students yearly:
- (i) English language arts;
- (ii) mathematics;
- (iii) physical and life sciences;
- (iv) social studies; and
- (v) health enhancement.
Montana K-12 Health Enhancement Content Standard
This model curriculum guide provides health and physical education Standard, performance indicators, and grade level outcomes for each grade.