State law requires middle school HE curriculum.
Health Education Standard Grades 5-8
Document establishes health education Standard for middle school students.
New Mexico Administrative Code 184.108.40.206 Requirements
D. The wellness policy shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- (1) a planned, sequential, K-12 health education curriculum that addresses the physical, mental, emotional, and social dimensions of health and is aligned to the health education content Standard with benchmarks and performance Standard as set forth in 220.127.116.11 NMAC;
New Mexico Administrative Code 18.104.22.168 Program Requirements
(4) In fourth through eighth grades, instruction that meets academic content and performance Standard shall be provided in the following subject areas:
- (l) physical education; and
- (m) health education.
New Mexico Statutes 22-13-1. Subject areas; minimum instructional areas required; accreditation.
D. In fourth through eighth grades, instruction that meets academic content and performance Standard shall be provided in the following subject areas:
- (1) reading and language arts skills, with an emphasis on writing and editing for at least one year and an emphasis on grammar and writing for at least one year;
- (2) mathematics;
- (3) language other than English;
- (4) communication skills;
- (5) science;
- (6) art;
- (7) music;
- (8) social studies;
- (9) New Mexico history;
- (10) United States history;
- (11) geography;
- (12) physical education; and
- (13) health education.