State law requires high school PE curriculum.
Missouri Code of State Regulations 5 20-100 Appendix A
Content areas must include: English language arts, mathematics, science, department-approved career education (e.g., agriculture education), social studies, world languages, fine arts (art and music), physical education, health, practical arts, and personal finance, as appropriate for each high school.
Missouri Code of State Regulations 5 20-100.190 Graduation Requirements for Students in Public High Schools
(1) High School Graduation Requirements. Effective for the graduating class of 2010 and thereafter, the state minimum high school graduation requirements comprise twenty-four (24) units of credit that must be earned between grades nine (9) and twelve (12). The requirements are stated in terms of the number of units of credit that must be earned in each subject area:Subject Area Units of Credit Communication Arts 4.0 Social Studies 3.0 Mathematics 3.0 Science 3.0 Fine Art 1.0 Practical Arts 1.0 Physical Education 1.0 Health Education .5
Missouri Code of State Regulations 5 20-200.260 Academic Standard
(G) Health/Physical Education. In health/physical education, students in Missouri public schools will acquire a solid foundation which includes knowledge of-
- Structures of, functions of, and relationships among human body systems;
- Principles and practices of physical and mental health (such as personal health habits, nutrition, stress management);
- Diseases and methods for prevention, treatment and control;
- Principles of movement and physical fitness;
- Methods used to assess health, reduce risk factors, and avoid high risk behaviors (such as violence, tobacco, alcohol and other drug use);
- Consumer health issues (such as the effects of mass media and technology on safety and health); and
- Responses to emergency situations.
Physical Education Grade Level Expectations
The Physical Education Grade Level Expectations establish the content and skills that students should learn in physical education in grades K-12.