State law complies with minimum requirements of the federal Gun-Free Schools Act (GFSA).
Utah Code 53G-8-205. Grounds for suspension or expulsion from a public school.
(2) (a) A student shall be suspended or expelled from a public school for any of the following reasons:
- (i) any serious violation affecting another student or a staff member, or any serious violation occurring in a school building, in or on school property, or in conjunction with any school activity, including:
- (A) the possession, control, or actual or threatened use of a real weapon, explosive, or noxious or flammable material;
- (B) the actual or threatened use of a look alike weapon with intent to intimidate another person or to disrupt normal school activities; or
- (C) the sale, control, or distribution of a drug or controlled substance as defined in Section 58-37-2, an imitation controlled substance defined in Section 58-37b-2, or drug paraphernalia as defined in Section 58-37a-3;
Utah Code 53G-8-510. Notification of teachers of weapons on school property -- Immunity from civil and criminal liability.
(1) Whenever a student is found on school property during school hours or at a school-sponsored activity in possession of a dangerous weapon and that information is reported to or known by the principal, the principal shall notify law enforcement personnel and school or district personnel who, in the opinion of the principal, should be informed.
(2) A person who in good faith reports information under Subsection (1) and any person who receives the information is immune from any liability, civil or criminal, that might otherwise result from the reporting or receipt of the information.