State law encourages districts to address water quality in schools.
Arizona Administrative Code R9-8-706 Title 9. Health Services Chapter 8. Department of Health Services - Food Recreational and Institutional Sanitation Article 7. Public Schools - Water Supply
A. A responsible person shall ensure that a school has an ample water supply.
B. A responsible person shall ensure that a school's drinking water is dispensed from:
- A clean drinking fountain that:
- a. Provides, from an opening, a stream of water that does not touch anything before reaching a user's mouth;
- b. Has an opening that is higher than the overflow rim to prevent the opening's submersion; and
- c. Has a device to prevent a user's mouth from touching the opening from which the water streams;
- A clean and sanitized water cooler;
- A clean and sanitized bottled water cooler;
- A clean and sanitized lavatory faucet; or
- A clean and sanitized portable water container.
C. If a portable water container or the bottle from a school's bottled water cooler is to be refilled, a responsible person shall ensure that the portable water container or the bottle is:
- Washed, rinsed, and sanitized, as specified in 9 A.A.C. 8, Article 1;
- Stored in a clean area; and
- Refilled with drinking water from any of the sources of drinking water specified in subsection (B).
D. A responsible person shall ensure that a school does not provide a common drinking cup unless the common drinking cup is washed, rinsed, and sanitized, as specified in 9 A.A.C. 8, Article 1, after each use.
E. A responsible person shall ensure that a school provides:
- Drinking fountains, water coolers, or bottled water coolers according to Tables 1 and 2; and
- At least one drinking fountain, water cooler, or bottled water cooler on each floor of the school that contains a classroom, regardless of the number of students.