Limited to prohibitions on gang activity in schools.
Florida Statutes 1011.78 Standard student attire incentive payments.
There is created an incentive payment for school districts and charter schools that implement a standard student attire policy for all students in kindergarten through grade 8 in accordance with this section.
(1) SHORT TITLE - This section may be cited as the “Students Attired for Education (SAFE) Act.”
(2) PURPOSE. - The purpose of a standard student attire policy is to provide a safe environment for students which fosters learning and improves school safety and discipline by:
- (a) Encouraging students to express their individuality through personality and academic achievements, rather than outward appearance.
- (b) Enabling students to focus on academics, rather than fashion, because they are able to convey a neat, serious, and studious image.
- (c) Minimizing disciplinary problems because students are not distracted by clothing.
- (d) Reducing the time needed to correct dress code violations through a readily available inventory of compliant attire.
- (e) Minimizing visible differences between students and eliminating social pressures to wear brand-name clothing or colors to show gang affiliation, thereby easing financial pressures on parents and enhancing school safety.
- (f) Creating a sense of school pride and belonging.
This webpage provides links to state and federal/national resources for families and educators on gangs and gang prevention.