State law requires districts to adopt suicide prevention policies.
Arkansas Code 6-18-111. School safety and crisis line.
(b) The school safety and crisis line under this section shall: (2) Provide crisis intervention, including without limitation suicide prevention services, to students experiencing emotional or psychiatric distress.
Arkansas Code 6-18-2004. Comprehensive student services.
- (1) A school counselor shall spend at least ninety percent (90%) of his or her working time during student contact days providing direct services and indirect services to students.
- (2) Direct and indirect services may be provided in collaboration with other school personnel and include without limitation: (F) Providing social and emotional skills designed to support students, including without limitation programs: (v) To address age-appropriate suicide awareness and prevention through:
- (a) Strategies that help identify a student who is at risk for suicide;
- (b) Strategies and protocols that help a student who is at risk for suicide; and
- (c) Protocols for responding to a suicide death.