State law addresses making PE inclusive, including adapted PE or accommodations when necessary.
92 Nebraska Administrative Code 51-007.07 IEP Development
007.07C2 Physical education services, specially designed if necessary, must be made available to every child with a verified disability receiving a free, appropriate public education, unless the school district or approved cooperative enrolls children without disabilities and does not provide physical education to children without disabilities in the same grades.
- 007.07C2a Each child with a verified disability must be afforded the opportunity to participate in the regular physical education program available to nondisabled children unless:
- 007.07C2a(1) The child is enrolled full time in a separate facility; or
- 007.07C2a(2) The child needs specially designed physical education as prescribed in the child's individualized education program.
- 007.07C2b If specially designed physical education is prescribed in a child's individualized education program, the school district or approved cooperative responsible for the education of that child shall provide the services directly or make arrangements for it to be provided through other public or nonpublic programs.
- 007.07C2c The school district or approved cooperative responsible for the education of a child with a verified disability who is enrolled in a separate facility shall ensure that the child receives appropriate physical education services.
Nebraska Revised Statutes 79-1125 Special education, defined.
Special education means specially designed instruction, at no cost to parents or guardians, to meet the unique needs of a child with a disability, including classroom instruction, instruction in physical education, home instruction, and instruction in hospitals and institutions.
Physical Education for Individuals with Disabilities
This guide provides adapted PE best practice information and resources for program development to support adapted PE teachers, PE teachers, special education teachers, and schools.