State law addresses making PE inclusive, including adapted PE or accommodations when necessary.
New Jersey Administrative Code 6A:14 Appendix C.
(29) SPECIAL EDUCATION-- The term 'special education' means specially designed instruction, at no cost to parents, to meet the unique needs of a child with a disability, including--
- (A) instruction conducted in the classroom, in the home, in hospitals and institutions, and in other settings; and
- (B) instruction in physical education.
New Jersey Administrative Code 6A:14-4.1 General requirements.
(f) Physical education services, specially designed if necessary, shall be made available to every student with a disability age five through 21, including those students in separate facilities.
New Jersey Statutes 18A:11-3.7 Obligations of school district exceptions.
- a. Each school district shall, subject to the provisions of subsection b. of this section:
- (1) ensure that a student with a disability has an equal opportunity to: participate in physical education programs; participate in existing classroom activities that involve physical activity; and try out for and, if selected, participate in athletic programs in an integrated manner to the maximum extent appropriate to the needs of the student; and
- (2) ensure the provision of reasonable modifications or aids or services necessary to provide a student with a disability an equal opportunity to participate in physical education programs, existing classroom activities that involve physical activity, and athletic programs as set forth in paragraph (1) of this subsection in an integrated manner to the maximum extent appropriate to the needs of the student.
New Jersey Statutes 18A:35-5. Maintenance of physical training courses; features
Each board of education shall conduct as a part of the instruction in the public schools courses in health, safety and physical education, which courses shall be adapted to the ages and capabilities of the pupils in the several grades and departments. To promote the aims of these courses any additional requirements or rules as to medical inspection of school children may be imposed.