State law addresses making PE inclusive, including adapted PE or accommodations when necessary.
Alabama Adapted Physical Education and 504 Process State Guidelines
This document is intended to provide guidance to PE teachers, special education staff, and administrators on planning for a quality physical education program for studets with disabilities in their schools.
Alabama Adapted Physical Education Best Practices: Quick Reference Guide
This document is intended to enable physical educators to be successful in the implementation of adapted physical education.
Alabama Administrative Code 290-3-1- .02 Regulations Governing Public Schools.
(15) Physical Education.
- (a) Pursuant to Code of Ala. 1975, §16-40-1, each school shall carry out a system of physical education which includes:
- Planning a program to meet the needs of all students. A modified program shall be provided for those unable to take the regular program
Alabama Administrative Code 290-8-9- .07 Other Educational Services And Program Options.
(2) Physical Education. Children with disabilities must be afforded the opportunity to participate in the regular physical education program available to nondisabled children unless the child is enrolled full-time in a separate facility or needs specially designed physical education as determined by the IEP Team. Physical education services, specially designed if necessary, must be made available to every child with a disability receiving FAPE, unless the public agency enrolls children without disabilities and does not provide physical education to children without disabilities in the same grades.
- (a) If specially designed physical education is prescribed in a child's IEP, the public agency responsible for the education of that child must provide the services directly or make arrangements for them to be provided through other public or private programs.
- (b) The public agency responsible for the education of a child with a disability who is enrolled in a separate facility must ensure that the child receives appropriate physical education services.