State law addresses making PE inclusive, including adapted PE or accommodations when necessary.
Application of Physical Education Performance Standard for Students with Disabilities
Document provides information on providing adapted physical education or accommodations when necessary for students.
Georgia Compiled Rules & Regulations 160-4-7-.02. Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)
(9) PHYSICAL EDUCATION.
The LEA must ensure that its public schools comply with the following:
- (a) General. Physical education services, specially designed if necessary, must be made available to every child with a disability receiving FAPE, unless the LEA enrolls children without disabilities and does not provide physical education to children without disabilities in the same grades. [34 C.F.R. § 300.108(a) ]
- (b) Regular physical education. Each child with a disability must be afforded the opportunity to participate in the regular physical education program available to nondisabled children unless -
- The child is enrolled full time in a separate facility; or
- The child needs specially designed physical education, as prescribed in the child's IEP. [34 C.F.R. § 300.108(b) ]
- (c) Special physical education. If specially designed physical education is prescribed in a child's IEP, the LEA responsible for the education of that child must provide the services directly or make arrangements for those services to be provided through other public or private programs. [34 C.F.R. § 300.108(c) ]