State law prohibits the sale, possession, or use of alcohol or controlled substances on school grounds or at school-related events.
Florida Statutes 1001.43 Supplemental powers and duties of district school board.
The district school board may exercise the following supplemental powers and duties as authorized by this code or State Board of Education rule. (7) FIRST AID AND EMERGENCIES.—The district school board may adopt programs and policies to ensure appropriate response in emergency situations; the provision of first aid to individuals, the student body, and school personnel; and the effective management of student illness, which programs and policies may include, but are not limited to:
- (a) The provision of first aid and emergency medical care and the provision of school health care facilities and services.
- (b) The provision of school safety patrol.
- (c) Procedures for reporting hazards, including threats of nature, bomb threats, threatening messages, and similar occurrences, and the provision of warning systems including alarm systems and other technical devices.
- (d) Procedures for evacuating the classrooms, playground, or any other district facility.
- (e) Procedures for reporting accidents, including traffic accidents and traffic violations involving district-owned vehicles.
- (f) Student insurance programs.
Florida Statutes 1006.07 District school board duties relating to student discipline and school safety.
(2) CODE OF STUDENT CONDUCT. --Adopt a code of student conduct for elementary schools and a code of student conduct for middle and high schools and distribute the appropriate code to all teachers, school personnel, students, and parents, at the beginning of every school year. Each code shall be organized and written in language that is understandable to students and parents and shall be discussed at the beginning of every school year in student classes, school advisory council meetings, and parent and teacher association or organization meetings. Each code shall be based on the rules governing student conduct and discipline adopted by the district school board and shall be made available in the student handbook or similar publication. Each code shall include, but is not limited to:
- (b) Procedures to be followed for acts requiring discipline, including corporal punishment.