State law prohibits the sale, possession, or use of alcohol or controlled substances on school grounds or at school-related events.
Indiana Code 20-33-9-1 Application of chapter
Sections 5 through 9 [IC 20-33-9-5 through IC 20-33-9-9] of this chapter apply to the following: (1) A violation under IC 7.1-5-7 (concerning minors and alcoholic beverages). (2) A violation under IC 35-48-4 (offenses related to controlled substances).
Indiana Code 35-48-4-7. Possession of controlled substance or controlled substance analog.
(a) A person who, without a valid prescription or order of a practitioner acting in the course of the practitioner’s professional practice, knowingly or intentionally possesses a:
- (1) controlled substance or controlled substance analog (pure or adulterated), classified in schedule I, except marijuana, hashish, or salvia; or
- (2) controlled substance or controlled substance analog (pure or adulterated), classified in schedule II, III, or IV; commits possession of a controlled substance, a Class A misdemeanor, except as provided in subsection (b). (b) The offense is a Level 6 felony if the person commits the offense and an enhancing circumstance applies. (c) A person who, without a valid prescription or order of a practitioner acting in the course of the practitioner’s professional practice, knowingly or intentionally obtains:
- (1) more than four (4) ounces of schedule V controlled substances containing codeine in any given forty-eight (48) hour period unless pursuant to a prescription;
- (2) a schedule V controlled substance pursuant to written or verbal misrepresentation; or
- (3) possession of a schedule V controlled substance other than by means of a prescription or by means of signing an exempt narcotic register maintained by a pharmacy licensed by the Indiana state board of pharmacy; commits a Class A misdemeanor.
Indiana Code 5-2-10.1-6 Grants to school corporations - Safety plans
(a) A school corporation, school corporation career and technical education school described in IC 20-37-1-1, or charter school (as defined in IC 20-24-1-4) may receive a grant from the fund for programs, equipment, services, or activities included in a safety plan submitted with the application for funds to the institute.
Indiana Code 7.1-5-7-7. Illegal possession of alcohol by minor
(a) Subject to IC 7.1-5-1-6.5, it is a Class C misdemeanor for a minor to knowingly:
- (1) possess an alcoholic beverage;
- (2) consume an alcoholic beverage; or
- (3) transport an alcoholic beverage on a public highway when not accompanied by at least one (1) of the minor’s parents or guardians.