State law requires districts to adopt anti-bullying policies addressing some U.S. Department of Education-recommended policy requirements.
Mississippi Code 37-11-67 Bullying or harassing behavior in public schools prohibited.
(1) As used in this section, “bullying or harassing behavior” is any pattern of gestures or written, electronic or verbal communications, or any physical act or any threatening communication, or any act reasonably perceived as being motivated by any actual or perceived differentiating characteristic, that takes place on school property, at any school-sponsored function, or on a school bus, and that:
- (a) Places a student or school employee in actual and reasonable fear of harm to his or her person or damage to his or her property; or
- (b) Creates or is certain to create a hostile environment by substantially interfering with or impairing a student’s educational performance, opportunities or benefits. For purposes of this section, “hostile environment” means that the victim subjectively views the conduct as bullying or harassing behavior and the conduct is objectively severe or pervasive enough that a reasonable person would agree that it is bullying or harassing behavior.
(2) No student or school employee shall be subjected to bullying or harassing behavior by school employees or students.
(3) No person shall engage in any act of reprisal or retaliation against a victim, witness or a person with reliable information about an act of bullying or harassing behavior.
(4) A school employee who has witnessed or has reliable information that a student or school employee has been subject to any act of bullying or harassing behavior shall report the incident to the appropriate school official.
(5) A student or volunteer who has witnessed or has reliable information that a student or school employee has been subject to any act of bullying or harassing behavior should report the incident to the appropriate school official.
(6) Conduct described in subsection (1) of this section is considered bullying if that conduct interferes with a student’s education or substantially disrupts the operation of a school.
Mississippi Code 37-11-69 Anti-bullying personnel and discipline policies and code of student conduct.
(1) Each local school district shall include in its personnel policies, discipline policies and code of student conduct a prohibition against bullying or harassing behavior and adopt procedures for reporting, investigating and addressing such behavior...
Sample Bullying Policy
This document provides a sample bullying policy that prohibits bullying and outlines procedures for reporting and responding to complaints.